Excerpt by Sean Williams
This has been a history making year for the cannabis industry. Practically anywhere you look, marijuana firsts were occurring. In no particular order, here are some of the industry’s most notable events in 2018:
• Canada legalizing recreational marijuana following nine decades of adult-use prohibition.
• Vermont becoming the first state to approve recreational weed entirely through the legislative process in January.
• Two additional states (Utah and Missouri) approving medical pot during midterms, with voters in Michigan making it the 10th state to OK adult-use marijuana.
• Tilray becoming the first Canadian-based marijuana stock to go the initial public offering route on a major U.S. exchange.
• Nearly a half dozen previously over-the-counter-listed companies uplisting to the Nasdaq or New York Stock Exchange.
• The U.S. Food and Drug Administration giving the thumbs-up to its first-ever cannabis-derived medicine in June.
• Six of the largest deals and acquisitions in the history of the marijuana industry being completed or announced.